Sunday, December 15, 2013

1981 Union Pacific SD40-2 "Snoot" Manifest Freight

The three units pictured here represent three different orders of SD40/SD40-2's delivered to the Union Pacific. With that in mind, let me say I know a lot more about the Santa Fe in this time period than I will ever know about the Union Pacific!  So, if I make any errors, please point them out to me.


Kato SD40-2 3401 with as delivered firecracker antennae, rotating beacon, and air horns located over the radiator fans.  This unit was delivered in September of 1971 and features the extended nose. This paint scheme first appeared in November of 1980. It features a large 3401 under the cab windows, smaller UP shield beneath it, and larger Union Pacific lettering on the long hood.  It has the UP shield on the nose. 

SD40 3054 was delivered from EMD in October of 1966.  Intermediate repaint scheme featuring larger Union Pacific lettering on the hood.  Number locations include on the long hood, under the cab windows, on the nose, and, of course, on the four number boards.  Union Pacific lettered on the nose.  Mildly weathered.  Walkways severely weathered, almost to a white.

SD40-2 3220 in as delivered paint scheme (small UP lettering), and with updated antennae, beacon and horn locations. Maximum number locations.  Mildly weathered reflecting time period. Delivered in April of 1973.  "We Can Handle It" logo probably (?) a repaint add on.  The SD40-2's featured the large "porches" on the front and rear.


MT Rio Grande 60' Double Plug "Waffle" box car
MT Conrail 60' Double Plug "Waffle" box car


MT 40' XF box car, indicating food service only




Heavily weathered UP 50' double plug door box car

MILW 53' mechanical refrigerator car, heavily weathered

This started out as a white mech. refrigerator BN car.

Heavily weathered Rock Island OB 50' box.  The Rock Island earned it's last profit in 1965.  While investigating possible mergers, the railroad slid into a decrepit situation, with no investments in maintenance of locomotives, track, freight cars, etc.  Finally, strikes and federal intervention pushed them over the edge.  The once proud Chicago, Rock Island and Pacific ceased operations on March 31, 1980.



An old model of indeterminate origin, custom painted, decaled, and weathered. 

Reading 50' wood gondola with steel bracing

D&H 50' plug and sliding door box. mildly weathered

Custom painted GN plug and sliding door box. Non-standard (on green cars) white  Great Northern slant serif.  Roof walk removed.


Custom painted 5'0' box of unknown origin, though it does have a very heavy metal frame. Roof walk removed.

Clean 50' IC 50' box car.

Mildly weathered BN plug door reefer (WFE)

WGRR bulkhead flat with load

SP bulkhead flat with load

GN 50' auto box car with roof walk removed

A very old Bachmann 50' plug door box, stripped, custom painted and decaled.  Roof walk removed.
 

MT 50' DD box, with roof walk removed and mildly weathered

Another SP bulkhead flat with load

Trailer Train bulkhead flat with load


UP  centerbeam flat with load


Yellow Trailer Train centerbeam flat with load

MILW  centerbeam flat with load

Soo Line 53' mechanical refrigerator, medium weathering

Northern Pacific 53' mechanical refrigerator, medium weathering

Weathered MT 50' plug and sliding door UP car

Beautiful Centralia UP caboose

A video of this train can be seen on YouTube at:

http://youtu.be/pHM2APnS4_Q

Thanks for logging on to my blog!

5 comments:

  1. Marvelous illustrations of weathering and simply wonderfully well done photo essays on period rolling stock and engines for the ATSF and UP - two roads I also model. I think you blog surpasses the various periodicals for content and imagery. Have long been a big fan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind remarks. They are really appreciated. I have put a lot of time into my layout, rolling stock and diesel units, with every moment being enjoyable and satisfying. Please continue to follow my blog thru 2014, as I still have a lot to add!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mike
    I hope I am talking to the correct person. On one of the you tube videos of My Santa Fe Railway Southern Division put on by one of my visitors a while back I noticed a comment regarding my signals. All of them are made by a very good mate and all are etched brass. he started to do them for me following several trips he and I made to rail fan the SF. he started back in about 1999 and has been constantly upgrading his designs. He makes two track, gantry styles, single and double track cantilever styles. All are equipped with LED if required.
    let me know firstly if it is you :-) and if you are interested in making contact with him. I will try and add some more images of them on my blog if that assists or send them to you via email.
    trust this email finds you well.
    Rod.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Rod,

    I may have been that person, but I have since installed Logic Rail Technologies BA-1-IR infrared modules with Tomar signal system that works perfectly. I have two videos on YouTube regarding this installation. My blog has links to all my videos. Check it out. Thanks ,Mike Komo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mike
      Thanks for getting back. Sorry it took so long for me to respond way back. I am enjoying your blog and following your SF RR. My SF RR has grown over the past 19 years and I am enjoying having my CTC panel up and running.
      My blog if not seen already is santafesd40.blogspot.com
      I would like to keep in contact if that is possible you see I live in Melbourne Australia and have modeled the SF since about 1969. Have made a several trips following the SF from Chicago to Dallas back in 2005 and in California also.
      Best Regards
      Rod.

      Delete